About us > Origin of the Institute

The Institute of the Sisters of Charity of Sts.Bartolomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa(SCCG) also known as the Sisters of Maria Bambina had its origin in Lovere, Italy. It was founded by a young girl of 26 named Bartolomea Capitanio in 1832. Bartolomea’s inspiration to found an Institute took shape because of her deep love for God and through her involvement in the actual situation of the people of Lovere – her native town.

Having studied in the boarding school of the Poor Clares, she acquired a deep piety under the ever vigilant Mother Francesca Parpani. “I want to be a Saint, a great saint and a saint soon” were the words she uttered at the age of 7 at the ‘Game of Straws’. Her spiritual Director Don Angelo Bosio sensed the working of the Spirit in her and guided her in her spiritual Journey. He urged her to note down all the inspirations she received. This resulted in the inspired document we now call ‘the Foundation Document” which forms the basis of our present Rule of Life. She wrote: “The Institute which will be founded in Lovere is be totally founded on charity and this must be its principle aim…should have as its aim the education of poor young girls…devote itself to the relief of the sick..” In this way she outlined a MISSION which, though starting as a personal response to the needs of her environment was deeply rooted in charity and as such destined to be kept up and to spread beyond the bounds of Lovere.

Bartolomea was helped in her project by Catherine Gerosa, a simple, rich, charitable lady of Lovere. Together they consecrated themselves to God in a simple ceremony on 21 November 1832 at Casa Gaia. Thus began the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity. Bartolomea was called to her eternal reward on 26 July 1833 eight months after founding the Congregation. It was left to Catherine Gerosa, under the able guidance of Don Angelo Bosio to carry on the work begun.

The Institute spread rapidly in many Provinces of Italy. In 1860, Mother Theresa Bosio the first Superior General answered the call of the missions of India and sent four sisters to work in Bengal -India. Thus began the mission of the sisters in India.

About us > History of Secunderabad Province

The number of communities in the Province of Mangalore increased and the distance from one community to another was enormous. A request was made to the Holy Congregation of Religious to divide the Province. Hence the Mangalore Province was bifurcated into Mangalore and Secunderabad Provinces. The sisters who were residing in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Bombay, Dharwad and Raichur District came under the Secunderabad Province. Thus the Province of Secunderabad was born on 2nd February 1962 through the initiative of the Superior General - Mother Constantina Baldinucci. Mother Antonietta Lucini an Italian, was the first Provincial superior of this new Province. It comprised 12 communities with 150 sisters. The Provincial House was situated in St. Francis Convent, Secunderabad.

In 1980, the Provincial House was shifted to Capitanio Convent, Begumpet. On 13th January 2004, the Provincial House was again shifted to St. Vincenza Nilayam, Kismatpur to make room for the B.Sc Nursing College. In 1998, the Secunderabad Province which had grown with the addition of new communities was bifurcated into the Secunderabad and Dharwad Provinces.

Today after 49 years, the Province has grown into a mighty tree consisting of 261 sisters in 31 communities spreading its branches to far away Nazareth- Israel and Egypt. Sr. Mary S Kuriakose is the present Provincial Superior of the Province.